The ultimate guide to installing XAMPP Server
Without XAMPP, the world of web development would not be what it is today. It is a combination of a web server application, a database, and a scripting language. So, in the following order, let’s look at how to install XAMPP Server through this article.
What is XAMPP?
XAMPP (Cross Platform, Apache, MySQL, PHP, and Perl) is the one that helps web developers create a local web server for testing and deployment processes. It was developed as a complete package and it has the very easiest steps to install and run for the development of web pages and servers. It is a simple and lightweight platform that works on major platforms like Windows, Linux, and Mac. Apache is used for creating the local server and MySQL is used for database purposes.
guide to installing XAMPP
Following is the step-by-step guide for installing the XAMPP server
Step 1: Setting up XAMPP
- Go to the Apache Friends Website and Download the file as per your platform.
- As you see, separate download links for Windows, Linux, and OS X, the file can be downloaded accordingly.
- Once the download has been completed, we can launch the installer to begin the XAMPP
Step 2: Initial Installation Steps
Though it sends a security warning, XAMPP is safe to install. Once the setup wizard pops up, then click “Next” for selecting the components
- Ensure Apache, PHP, MySQL, and phpMyAdmin checkboxes are selected and uncheck the unnecessary things.
- Select the folder to install the XAMPP server on your computer and the default path will be C:\Program Files\XAMPP
- Now, choose the install directory and install Bitnami.
- Click on “Learn more about Bitnami for XAMPP” and click “Next”
Step 3: XAMPP Setup
- Now, XAMPP is ready to install
- Ensure that you check “Private networks, such as my home or work network” and click “Allow Access”.
- The rule for XAMPP like your security system has been created and allows it to work.
- Check in the control panel and click “Finish”.
Step 4: Running XAMPP
Important note before running XAMPP: Check that there will be no conflicting applications that use the same port running in the background. Even if skype is running behind, exit the application.
- Ensure all the elements have their separate start/stop, admin, config, and log buttons.
- Now, run Apache and MySQL by clicking the start button.
- If everything runs perfectly, you have successfully installed the XAMPP server.
- Now, install WordPress XAMPP Local Server
Step 5: Your First Database
- Open the XAMPP Control Panel and click the “Admin” button on the MySQL part and this page redirects you to the phpMyAdmin page.
- Now, find the “Databases” link on the top of the page and there you can find “Create Database”. Enter the name for the database and click on “Create”.
Step 6: Installing WordPress on XAMPP
- Download the latest version of WordPress from the popular platforms
- Copy the extracted content and paste it into the “htdocs” folder that is in the folder where you have installed your XAMPP Server.
- Now, open the browser and type: http”//localhost/wordpress/ in the address bar.
- Select a language on the screen then click “Continue” and the following will be asked
- Database Name
- Database Username
- Database Password
- Database Host
- Click on the “Let’s go!” button and then type the following information.
- Write the name of the database as per what you give in step 5.
- Username: root, password: leave this field empty, database host: localhost, and table prefix: wp_
- Click on the “Submit” and “Run the install” buttons.
- Now, you can see the “Site Title” field and enter the title for your test site.
- Then create an admin account under the “username” and password” fields.
- Enter a valid e-mail address into the “Your E-Mail” field.
- Click on “Privacy” to hide your site from unnecessary search engines.
- Double check what you have typed and select “Install WordPress”.
- If everything runs smoothly, the success page will be shown.
- Click on the “Log In” button and enter your credentials.
- Now, you are there in the admin dashboard of your WordPress website.
- Well Done!
XAMPP server provides a simple and easy way for setting up a local server that tests multiple applications on it. WordPress, a popular app is one of them. Learn how to create web pages by enrolling in our WordPress Training in Chennai at Softlogic Systems.