Earlier, a network engineer needn’t have much programming skills. All they needed to understand was how to deal with routers and switchers through commands, the way of configuring networking devices, etc. But now, times have changed. The network engineer should have a good knowledge of writing code in this fiercely competitive scenario. If he doesn’t know, then he is considered to be not keeping pace with the current scenario.
What Is The Responsibility Of A Network Engineer?
A network engineer is a technical specialist who handles the planning, designing, controlling, and taking care of computer networks. The demand for a network engineer is growing steadily. When the network engineer has Linux skills, then that is an additional advantage. The network engineer needs to be relevant because there is the introduction of new technologies every day.
There has been a massive increase in software-defined networking for the past few years. This type of networking centers on the software, and learning the programming language in which the software is coded is the path to gaining an SDN job.
Should A Network Engineer Be Proficient In Programming Languages?
Well, now you may ask whether I should be an expert in programming languages. The answer is you can have a decent knowledge of general-purpose languages, including Python and Ruby. You may be wondering whether you can apply the tools for networking and don’t take the extra step in learning programming skills. But what you should understand is that the tools including Puppet, Ansible, etc. have several programming constructs developed into them. To be precise, the DevOps tools need the application of tools.
Knowledge Of Linux And Powershell
It will beneficial if you have some knowledge of Linux Shell and the Microsoft PowerShell Scripting. When you learn both, then you will get to know the fundamentals of programming logic. Networking also consists of a security domain, and it would be good if you have good experience with Linux. You can also go further by learning an interpreted language like Python, which is the crux of the next sub-heading.
Learning Python Will Be Highly Useful For A Network Engineer
- Python language has turned out to be one of the most popular programming languages of recent times. This skill is most sought after by employers, and the network engineers can also gain from it. Now you may ask: Why Python is the most sought-after networking language? Well, as you have understood by now, coding is essential for the present network engineers; however, the network engineer is not going to concentrate only on it. His role is different from the software developer who spends a lot of time in coding. Here then, learning a simple programming language would be adequate. This is where Python enters. You needn’t learn complex languages like Java or C++ but learn Python and take your networking career to the next level.
- Python can be applied to automate manual tasks by coding easy scripts. It is an easy tool for the server and management tasks and configurations.
- Python is also applied for communicating with Software Defined Networking by controlling several devices and using APIs. The network engineer can create his own scripts to handle the activities. One of the main advantages of Python is that you require only less number of the code. Python can also be applied on devices which offer real-time monitoring.
- The standard library of Python consists of thorough support for network protocols and other essential concepts. If you are an aspiring network engineer, IT consultant, or network consultant, then you will gain a lot after learning Python.
- When the server engineers make a lot of progress in automating, the network engineers should not lag. The bottom line is that networking engineers should also have programming skills to utilize the new tools and the latest programming wave.
If you have programming skills in your role of a network engineer, then you will undoubtedly benefit from it. You should go the extra mile to keep yourself updated with these skills. After all, there is no harm in learning a new programming language, and if you do so, you will gain the edge over others. If you are searching for CCNA Training in Chennai, then you can enroll in Softlogic.