Beyond the Basics: Istio and IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service
Start managing your microservices with Istio on IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service. This course shows you how to better control traffic to services, observe service health, and secure the service mesh.
ABOUT THIS COURSE
Istio is an open platform to connect, secure, and manage a network of microservices, also known as a service mesh, on cloud platforms such as Kubernetes in the IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service. With Istio, You can manage network traffic, load balance across microservices, enforce access policies, verify service identity on the service mesh, and more.
After you complete this course, you’ll be able to:
- Download and install Istio in your cluster
- Deploy the Guestbook sample app
- Set up the Istio Ingress controller
- Use metrics, logging, and tracing to observe services
- Perform simple traffic management, such as A/B tests and canary deployments
- Secure your service mesh
- Enforce policies for your microservices
- Lab 1: Observe service telemetry: metrics and tracing
- Lab 2: Expose the service mesh with the Istio Ingress controller
- Lab 3: Manage traffic
- Lab 4: Secure your service mesh
- Lab 5: Enforce policies for microservices
- This course is self-paced.
- It can be taken at any time.
- It can be audited as many times as you wish.
You should have a basic understanding of containers, microservices, Istio, and IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service. If you have no experience with those, take the following courses:
- Container and Kubernetes Essentials with IBM Cloud
- Getting started with Microservices with Istio and IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service
- You must have an IBM Cloud account to complete this course.